Maybe it is Sunday night and you are already feeling the Monday blues, so you need some Monday affirmations to prepare yourself for the week.
Or maybe it is Monday already and you need that extra motivation to help you get out of bed and start the new week.
In any case, we all need some positive energy to have a fresh start each week.
But if you don’t want your usual stock affirmations, then you are in the right place. Here you will find 20 authentic affirmations to empower your day or your week.
Let’s bring that positive mindset in!
What Are Affirmations?
I’m pretty sure we are all familiar with affirmations.
Maybe you have seen the classic scene in a TV show or in a movie where the character pep talks to himself/herself in the mirror and says “YOU CAN DO THIS”.
(Any How I Met Your Mother fans? If so, picture the scene of Marshall motivating himself to go to his job interviews in S4 Ep. 2 and saying “You are confident, you are energetic, and you are focused!”).
The idea behind positive affirmations is to shift our negative perspectives and thoughts into positive ones. We wake up and already stress over things, have negative thoughts, and pretty much we set ourselves for failure.
Affirmations are a great way of practicing self-care when you are short on time as well.
Do Affirmations Work?
You may have read or heard that positive affirmations can help you push through difficult times, help with mental health, and sometimes they can work as “manifestations”.
But I got curious to see if there was any actual research indicating if they work in the first place.
Well, the brain not only adapts to events that occur in our lives, but it can also adapt to our thoughts. In other words, reality and imagination are not so different.
In fact, “creating a mental image of yourself doing something activates many of the same brain areas that actually experiencing these situations would” (1). So, repeating positive affirmations can lead our brain to accept these affirmations as facts.
But we have to acknowledge that they are not a magic method that will fix it all. Also, what will have the biggest impact will be our actions.
Affirmations vs. Action
Affirmations are a powerful tool to change our mindset, but our actions have to match our mindset.
For example, a generic affirmation is “I will have a productive Monday morning”. But if throughout the day you get distracted, you prioritize other things, and you procrastinate, then the affirmation itself will not do much.
How to Use These monday Affirmations?
Now, let’s cover what to expect from these affirmations and how to use them.
What to Expect
As much as I love stock (generic) affirmations, I wanted to create affirmations that can be more specific to your situation, and short but mighty!
When I say stock I mean phrases like “I am amazing”, or “I will have a great day”. Even if these are great, we can work on them a little more so they adapt to our needs and realities.
I prefer when affirmations are realistic, take into account how we currently feel, and will help us take action accordingly.
When & How to Use Them
Honestly, these affirmations can apply to any day of the week. But the goal of this post is to help you have a positive Monday and a great week ahead.
- Choose a time
My recommendation is to practice Monday morning affirmations, but you can also say your affirmations on Sunday nights before the hectic week begins.
You can totally say them throughout the day as well, but from personal experience I can tell you that it is easy to get caught up in the day’s work and forget about the affirmations!
- Be specific
Once you have chosen what time is best for you (Monday mornings, throughout the day…), then choose how much time you want to dedicate and at what time exactly.
This activity should not take more than 5 minutes, but you can take more or less, as needed.
Knowing this, you can choose when exactly would be an appropriate time to do it.
For example, if you want to do them Monday mornings, do you want to sit down in bed right after waking up and saying them out loud? Or maybe just in your head if you don’t want to disturb others?
Maybe you have a small break after taking the kids to school, or maybe you can park at your office and stay in your car for 5 more minutes to say your affirmations.
Whatever works best for you!
- Choose 3-5 affirmations
In order for affirmations to be more effective, it is best to repeat a few more often instead of just saying them all once.
Choose 3-5 that resonate the most with you at that moment!
- Repeat them 5-10 times (or more times)
Repeat the affirmations you selected a few times. You can do this out loud or in your head, but in my experience saying them out loud feels more powerful!
You can also write down in a piece of paper the affirmations that will impact you the most during the day. Place this paper where you will see it often during the day (maybe your work area, the kitchen, in your wallet, etc.
At the end of this blog you can get a free printable PDF version as well!
20 Monday Affirmations
As always, I love to organize my affirmations in sections. In this case, the sections are positivity, productivity & creativity, confidence, and gratitude.
The reason why I prefer to separate them is because we don’t all have the same needs. Maybe you are feeling very confident about yourself, but you feel you could be more grateful today.
Or maybe you are motivated for this new day, but you want to focus on being productive at work or at home.
Positive Monday Affirmations
- Today I focus on new beginnings. I chase after new opportunities that align with my purpose, goals, and passions.
- Today I put myself first. My well-being is a priority to me.
- I let go of habits that don’t serve me and choose new positive ones.
- I have 7 days ahead of me to do things with intention and purpose.
- Today I am resilient. I choose to be confident and brave.
Productivity & Creativity
- Today I am overcoming procrastination: I am disciplined with my time and energy.
- I am growing in my professional & personal journey. I am focused and determined to achieve my goals.
- I am spending this day mindfully and with intention. I am present in every aspect of my life.
- I am overflowing with creative and unique ideas. My job makes me joyful and delighted.
- I pour my heart, soul, and passion in my projects. I take proactive steps to complete my tasks.
- Everyday I cultivate authenticity, and let go of what people think. (This affirmation is 100% credited to the amazing Brené Brown. It is so perfectly concise that it cannot be reworded!)
- I am not ashamed of the things that make me different. My uniqueness is my biggest gift.
- I am on my journey to love and appreciate all aspects about me. I choose to focus on all of my positive qualities and achievements.
- I am authentic. I recognize that there is no one else in the world like me. No one has the exact same set of skills, strengths, and values.
- I am confident in my ability to overcome any obstacle. I am bold, brave, and fearless.
- I am grateful for the amazing day ahead of me.
- I am making the choice to focus on the good things that happen today and this week.
- Being grateful makes me attract good things and good people into my life.
- I am thankful for the big and small things. I recognize even the smallest acts of kindness.
- I express my gratitude towards others. I verbalize how thankful I am for what others do for me. I let them know I appreciate everything they do.
Tips to Improve Your Monday Affirmations
If you want to have a quick-access to these affirmations, get access to our free PDF here!
You can save it on your phone, print it, stick it on a wall… whatever works best for YOU.
Also, if you are a Pinterest fan like me, you can also pin this post so you can access it whenever you need it. ♥
Affirmations are a great tool to guide your actions throughout the day.
More Posts I Think You’ll Enjoy
10 Self-Love Journal Prompts: The Only Ones You’ll Need
Self-Care Saturday [Ultimate Guide]